Across Africa, media owners and operators face common and extraordinary challenges locally and globally: an acceleration to digital, remote and online technologies, the increasing rise of global competitors, particularly social media, the loss of advertising revenue driving the need for new business models —coupled with dramatic changes in the structure of African and global economies.
With a focus on accelerating development of a globally competitive media and financial reporting industry and fostering more dynamic new media businesses in Africa, the annual convening — Africa Business Media Innovators is designed to assist media leaders to better understand, adapt to and address this unprecedented period in journalism and media in Africa, and globally.
710 leaders from media, business, technology, and government
Recent convenings have examined topics such as:
- Developing business strategies for the new African media landscape
- The power of data
- Harnessing new digital technologies to sustain and drive successful media companies
- Media infrastructure and enabling regulatory environment
- Capitalizing on the globalization of the media
- Understanding artificial intelligence and augmented reporting
- Preventing misinformation and protecting journalistic integrity
- The impact of COVID-19 on the media industry in Africa and globally
Invited guests include media executives, cross-industry CEOs, public policy makers, technology founders, business innovators, investors and civil society leaders from around the world. Conferences have been held in South Africa, Kenya, Ghana, Zambia and Senegal.
The Africa Business Media Innovators is hosted by Bloomberg Media CEO Justin Smith, Bloomberg News Co-founder and Editor-in-Chief, Emeritus, Matthew Winker, and BMIA Director, Erana Stennett.
- Launch of ABMI in Johannesburg, South Africa in 2015
- Five convenings held in South Africa, Kenya, Ghana, Zambia, Senegal
- 710 leaders from Media, Business, Technology, Government attend
- 61 countries represented
- Honorable Nana Akufo-Addo, President of Ghana addresses the audience in Accra in 2018
- Senegal Minister of State, Honorable Mahammed Boun Abdallah Dionne addresses audience in Dakar in 2019
- Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, ABMI held virtually in 2020. Dr. Akinwumi Adesina, President, African Development Bank, gives keynote address